Sunday, May 17, 2015

10 Arabic Words and Phrases To Know

I might be a bit biased, but I think Arabic is one of the most underrated languages. It is the national language of 27 countries and 420 million people. It is also the liturgical language of 1.6 billion Muslims, yet my Arabic class in the States had 10 people. 

I think more people should learn Arabic, so I have a list of 10 basic words and phrases that you should know in Arabic. Please note that these are all in Modern Standard Arabic. There are many dialects including Egyptian Arabic that differ slightly. 

(The smiley face is the Arabic letter "teh". It's the equivilent of "t" in English.)

1. سلام عليكم pronounced "As-salmu alaykum". This literally means "peace upon you" and it is a universal greeting. You can say it to anyone, anywhere, at anytime of day. The response to this is "wa-alaikum-salam" which literally means "and upon you peace". 

2. كيف حالك؟ pronounced "kaif halak" for a boy or "kaif halek" for a girl". This literally means "how's the news?" But it is used to say "how are you?" There are many responses for this. You can say "Ana bekher" which plainly means "I'm good". You can also say "elhamduallah" which means "thanks be to God". You can say both or one or the other. Whatever floats your boat. 

3. مع السلامة pronounced "ma el-salama". Literally translated, it means "with peace". However, it is used to say bye. The response would be "ma el-salama". 

4. ان شاء الله pronounced "inshallah". This basically means "by God's will". Arabs use this all the time. "I will go to the cinema tomorrow, inshallah." "I will pass the test, inshallah." The texting abbreviation is "isA". 

5. من فضلك pronounced "men fadlak" if you talk to a boy or "men fadlek" of you talk to a girl. This literally means "from your favor" but it's used to say "please". 

(The letter و is called "wow". It is the equivilent of "w" and "o/oo/u" in English. The joke is "when I saw you I was like wow".)

6. شكرًا pronounced "shokran". This means "thank you". You use it to show gratitude to someone for something they did for you. 

7. ما اسمك؟ pronounced "ma ismak" for a boy or "ma ismek" for a girl. This means "what's your name?" It is used when you don't know someone's name. 

8. (انا اسمي... (كوري pronounced "Ana ismy... (Corie)". Can you guess what it means? Right!/Wrong! It means "my name is... (Corie)". It is used to introduce yourself in any given situation. 

9. كل عام و انت/انتم بخير pronounced "kol am wa enta (boy)/enty (girl)/entom (multiple people) bekher". This means "every year and you be good". This is said on any special occasion. Birthday? Kol am wa enta bekher! Mother's Day? Kol am wa enty bekher. Wedding? Kol am wa entom bekher. When someone says this to you, the response is "wa enta bekher" when responding to a boy or "wa enty bekher" when responding to a girl. 

10. انا احبك pronounced "Ana ohebak" for a boy and "Ana ohebek" for a girl. This means I love you <3


That's it! I hope you guys enjoyed this post and maybe you'll take up Arabic... or not. Let me know if you'd like another post like this because I do know more Arabic words and phrases. Also let me know if you learned anything or if it was just confusing. 

I was featured on the AFS-USA blog. You can see the post here: http://www.afsusa.org/afs-blog/study-abroad/article/?article_id=7798

I couldn't have done it without your support of me and this blog so shokran gedan (very much). 

Ana ohebokom (I love you all) and I will talk to you again soon. Until then,

Learn something today. 

Ma el-salamaaaaaaaaaa

Corie. 

The backgrounds in the pictures are mine. The first is the sunset I saw on the way to the pyramids once. And the other is the Red Sea in El Sokhna. :)

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being featured on the AFS blog. You are doing such a good job of documenting your experiences in Egypt. We certainly look forward to reading about your exploits. Continue to have fun and learn. Uncle Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Uncle Peter :-)

      Delete
    2. I learned Shukran for thank you. Years ago I was at UCLA when two Arabs passed me on a path. One said to the other, "bint hallowa" I said Shukran. They got very excited, and asked if I was Arab.,I said "la" and continued to class. I learned Arabic playing "ma jeune telletta" at University of Illinois with Egyptian friends.

      Delete
  2. Hi Corie, I found this very useful, thanks. My friend is calling her son Keef, I see it's an Arabic word. What is the meaning of that word on its own? Would it work as a name in Arabic? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name Kaif is a Muslim baby name. In Muslim the meaning of the name Kaif is: Pleasure. High spirits.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your helpful reply, Rio Raji. Great name, lovely meaning! I'll pass that on to the parents.

      Delete
  3. I love to learned Arabic language...

    Shokran.....


    Aminah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grammar,please send me those lessons to pilisievans@gmail.com.
    Shokran

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inappropriate post from Ana REX, please remove! Pathetic that people feel the need to do this when others are engaged in proper discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shukran. I learned all of these things in 1961-1963. I also learned Ah-dee-nee bossa, give me a kiss. I named my parakeet Habibi and taught him to say it. I also learned a few Egyptian curse words and a lot more. We played "majoon telletta" and I learned a lot more words so my Arab friends couldn't cheat among themselves. Years later I was walking across campus at UCLA when 2 Arabs approached . one said "Bint Halloweh" I said Shukran. They became very excited and asked if I was Arab. I said Lah.

      Delete
    2. Shukran. I learned all of these things in 1961-1963. I also learned Ah-dee-nee bossa, give me a kiss. I named my parakeet Habibi and taught him to say it. I also learned a few Egyptian curse words and a lot more. We played "majoon telletta" and I learned a lot more words so my Arab friends couldn't cheat among themselves. Years later I was walking across campus at UCLA when 2 Arabs approached . one said "Bint Halloweh" I said Shukran. They became very excited and asked if I was Arab. I said Lah.

      Delete
  6. I learned Arabic from Egyptian friends at the U of Illinois in the early 60s. Learned to swear. Fortunately only Egyptians know what I'm saying. I use it on phony Robocalls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really helpful, shokron!
    I look forward to more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really helpful, shokron!
    I look forward to more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks buddy for this. Please update more so everyone can learn more arabic love quotes

    ReplyDelete
  10. MashaAllah tabarak Allah... This is so great... May God bless you... You are going far, inshaAllah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get a personal loan Easy Loan's available here apply from $3,000 to $20,000,000 within 24 hours upon request. Other types of loans are also available in less than 48 hours. Contact me as needed. Contact Us At :abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  12. You need personal informations from companies,family and friends that will better your life and you need easy access without them noticing just contact james or you’re financially unstable or you have a bad credit score, he will solve that without stress,he and his team can clear criminal records without leaving a trace and can also anonymously credit your empty credit cards with funds you need,all these are not done free obviously but I like working with James and his team cause they keep you updated on every step taken in order to achieve the goal and they also deliver on time,I tested and confirmed this I’m still happy on how my life is improving after my encounter with him ,you can send a mail to premiumhackservices@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete