Tuesday, June 2, 2015

What to Wear and Where to Wear It in Egypt

Sup! I received a comment on my last post asking about swim attire in Egypt and what it was like to wear a swimsuit versus a hijab etc. So I thought it would be a good time to post about Egypt and clothing in general.

One of the biggest questions I had before going to Egypt was clothing. Egypt is a conservative country, it's also a Muslim country. Being here, however, has opened my eyes. Egypt is definitely not as conservative as I thought it would be.

Everyday Clothes

The clothing people wear varies quite a bit. Men can wear normal pants and shirts or even shorts. Some men wear what are called"galabeyas" which are long shirt dress things. Women wear regular pants and shirts as well. A lot of people wear hijabs, and some are fully veiled.


For men, it's much easier. Boys can literally wear whatever they want (as long as it's guy clothes). Women have to be more conservative, at least in Cairo.

Even if you aren't Muslim, or you don't follow Islam rules, in Cairo, it's good to dress on the conservative side as to not attract attention.

I tend to stay conservative just out of respect for my family. These are the kinds of things my friends and I wear.




Swimsuits

I have only been in two situations when I've swam.

The first was my school trip to Ain Sokhna. You can read about it here. While normally my friends wear two pieces (or one pieces depending on the person). On the school trip, we weren't allowed to wear bikinis because we were going with boys. (I could be wrong about the reasoning but this is what I heard). We also couldn't wear short shorts.

The second was my recent trip to Hurghada, which you can read about here. At resorts, it is mostly tourists. Here, you can wear whatever swim suit you want, whatever clothes you want. It doesn't matter because it's a tourist resort. Full body suits and loose clothing were not allowed in the pool at the hotel.

Muslim women have special swimsuits that cover your whole body and hair.

From pintrest 

When I was packing, I had no idea what kind of swim suit to bring. I just brought the practice suit I had that covered the most skin. I also brought athletic shorts to wear on top if I needed to. 



Swimsuit vs Hijab



My host family is Muslim. Because of this, I can't wear shorts or a tanktop or antything like that when my dad or brothers are home. If they are home and it's ridiculously hot, I wear shorts in my room only. If I happen to be in my room wearing shorts and they come in, I have to like throw my blanket over my legs or something.

So, naturally, after this, it felt a bit weird to be in front of my brother and dad in my swimsuit, as not revealing as it is. Not only this, but after nine months of long pants and skirts, and high cut tops, it feels weird to wear swimsuits, shorts, and lower (not that low but still) cut tops. Despite this, I can't wait to wear shorts and tanktops when I get back to America.


If you are coming to Egypt and you need inspiration here are the three outfits I tend to wear the most:

These are loose cotton pants. They are really light weight (and mom, they're 90% cotton and made in Egypt. Egyptian cotton? Idk) I just have a t-shirt on top. 

This is just a t-shirt and jeans. I don't actually wear my SnapBack that often. It's mostly of I'm at a tourist place, or it's hot, or I want to look cool. 

Finally, in this lovely modeled picture, is a 3/4 length flowy shirt and jeans. This shirt is light weight and I wear it all the time because I stay cool in it. J


That's all I have, if anyone has any questions, please leave them below, I will try and do my best to answer.

Hope you are all having a great week.

Learn something today.

Byeeee

Corie.







20 comments:

  1. Another interesting post, Corie! Fascinating that what is not acceptable in the home there (naked legs) is acceptable in a resort swimming pool. It's usually the opposite here-----what you might wear at home, say a pair of short shorts and a bandeau, though not technically unacceptable, would be frowned on by many in public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corie, forgot to say this post was from Nancy, Nick's mom, via Facebook. Thanks for the great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grammar, vocabulary, tenses, indirect speech, passive sentences must always be keep in mind while writing a blog. Everyone must read this blog. This is going to help everyone.เสื้อสูท

    ReplyDelete
  4. Affordable Womens Summer Clothing | Wet Summers


    Who doesn't love a good deal on new clothes? Find the perfect piece for less by checking out our amazing clothing collection at WetSummers.com
    If you need more information just click here Women's Beachwear

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is actually good to read the content of this blog. here is very general and the huge knowledgeable platform has been known by this blog. I, in reality, appreciate this blog to have such kind of educational knowledge.I am sharing related topic which is mostly important for How to Generate Credit Card ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. here is very general and the huge knowledgeable platform has been known by this blog. I reality appreciate this blog to have such kind of educational knowledge.I am sharing related topic which is mostly important for Google Play Gift Card Generator

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the information! i was looking for and could not find it. you helped me! i found so many interesting things related to it but not found legitimate information and also found some interesting topic is iTunes Gift card

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the Update. I Really Appreciate the Efforts You Made for This Blog.
    All the Best !!! Robux Generator

    ReplyDelete
  9. your article is awesome always follow your blog and found the most interesting topics I also start a blog on How to Perform Payment Gateway Integration Testing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about
    this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do
    with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but
    other than that, this is excellent blog. A great read.
    I will definitely be back.
    but you try fro following things also,
    Free Robux
    How to get free Robux
    Get Free Robux
    FREE ROBUX ROBLOX
    Earn Free Robux - Redeem Instantly
    Free Robux - Earn
    Earn Free Robux
    free robux websites
    earn robux today
    free robux codes
    ​Free​ Roblox ​Robux

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is very fantastic, I really like it. Keep working and thanks for sharing this great information. I am a gamer and here is something interesting for you.
    You may Visit here

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it. This is very helpful info. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog. Really its great article. Keep it up. For minecraft artical, you may visit here
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  13. You need personal informations from companies,family and friends that will better your life and you need easy access without them noticing just contact james or you’re financially unstable or you have a bad credit score, he will solve that without stress,he and his team can clear criminal records without leaving a trace and can also anonymously credit your empty credit cards with funds you need,all these are not done free obviously but I like working with James and his team cause they keep you updated on every step taken in order to achieve the goal and they also deliver on time,I tested and confirmed this I’m still happy on how my life is improving after my encounter with him ,you can send a mail to premiumhackservices@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I maintain such information much. I was once seeking this specific information for a very long time. Many thanks and best of luck. I also have something for you. you can Check here

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are continuosly providing amazing content. I loved to watch it. It helps me alot. I also have something for you to Compress and archive files and data. You can check Winrar

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing such great information. This is one of the best sites which provide all the details of relevance to topics.click here
    Check here

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really appreciate your article. the post has excellent tips which are useful. this post is good in regards of both knowledge as well as information. Also you can check BSL Shaders 1.14.4 a perfect shaders pack for minecract. You should definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is very helpful information. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog. I was looking for and could not find it. you helped me! i found so many interesting things related to it but not found legitimate information and also found some interesting topic is Speed Up DeSmuMe Emulator

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, It's very helpful for this blog. Also great with all of the valuable information you have Keep up the good work you are doing well. click on ben 10 protector of earth

    ReplyDelete