Sunday, January 18, 2015

Exchange Student Tag

Today I got my second visa so I thought I'd celebrate with the Exchange Student Tag.

A tag is an internet challenge. The most famous one would be the ALS ice bucket challenge. Normally, though, it's a series of questions targeted at a specific group (exchange students, book lovers, beauty gurus, it's a big YouTube thing) and the people of said group answer them. It's a little hard to explain but I'm sure you'll figure it out. 

This tag was made by a blogger named Lærke. She is from Denmark and spent her year in Vegas with EF and I found it by googling "exchange student tag". 

Some of these questions have posts for them. I will link those way, way at the bottom. Some of these questions have inspired new posts so keep an eye out for those. 

Here we go:



What is your name, age, nationality and company?

My name is Corie. I am 16 years old. I am american (United States of, that is). I am with AFS. 

Ana ismee Corie. Ana setashr. Ana amrekia. Ana m3a AFS. Is that right? Don't laugh if it's not. 

Where are you living your exchange year?

Cairo, Egypt. In case you hadn't figured that out yet. 

Why did you decide to be an exchange student?

When I was six years old, my family hosted an exchange student. Ever since I had been surrounded by exchange students. Exchange students and AFS is part of who I am. The better question is why wouldn't I be an exchange student? 

Also for the past three or four years I have been in love with the Arabic language and the little culture I knew about. I am also the person who would scream at you until I'm hoarse if you say anything racist or religionist against Arabs/Muslims and I needed some experience to back up my arguments. 

If you haven't read my posts "The Beginning" or "Bridging Cultures Scholarship" then check those out for more. 

What did you think when you first stepped out of the plane?

*plane lands*

Okay, Corie, this is it. 

Jeez this bag is heavy. How has this been on my back for three days. 

Okay, bathroom bathroom bathroom. Where's the bathroom? How do you say bathroom? Whatever. I'll pee at home. 

These signs are in English! This is great!

Non-residents fill out white forms. That's me. Okay. Filling out the form. I don't have a pen... How do you all have pens? Where is my mom and her 100 pens? Oh right, on another continent. Okay. Banks have pens. "Can I borrow a pen?" *writes with a fake pen* "Qualam?" *acquires pen* "Shokran"

Okay, where's my suitcase? There it is. This is heavy too. 

I'm so tired

Customs guy 2: what's in your bag?
Me: Clothes and shoes?
Customs guy 2: Okay

Nadia: Corie!
Me: Hi!

It's so hot and loud. 

What is this driving? I'm gonna die. 

Food. Bed. It's still so fricking hot. 

Oh, so that's the sunrise call to prayer. 

What is the weirdest thing you have tasted so far? 

I don't even know. Okra? They look like little cacti. But I guess there's okra in the States. I mean, all the food is good. Meshy maybe. It's like stuffed vegetables with rice or meat or other vegetables. It's good. I have yet to eat pigeon which I really want to eat. My friend is determined to bring me a liver sandwich. I'll keep you guys updated. 

I have a whole post about food btw. 

Update 15/5/15: I have eaten mombar which is cow intestine.

Have you done anything so far that you never thought was possible?

I have literally climbed up the pyramids. I have understood Arabic that is spoken to me. I have been invited to join the college level MUN. I have gotten over homesickness. I have lived abroad. 

What has been the biggest challenge so far?

You know, there are lots of challenges. People you don't understand, people not understanding you, being thousands of miles away from anything familiar. The biggest challenge I have to say has been Christmas which was one day of terrible homesickness or the flu which was four days of hell. 

How do you like the school in your host country?

I have been taking finals for the last month, so I'm kind of just done with school. Otherwise though, the teachers are nice, the people are cool, the uniforms suck and I miss wearing what I want to school, I love my friends, the classes aren't terrible, the library has Harry Potter, and the principal gave me a birthday card. I'd say I like it. 

How do people dress in your host country (in your opinion)?

Differently. And by that I mean everyone dresses differently. Every one wears pants or long skirts/dresses all year long.
But if you've ever seen pictures or movies with Arabs basically wearing a really long shirt/dress some people wear those. I think it's pretty normal. Teens don't dress that different from teens in America. 

I would actually love to do a post like this so let me know if that would be interesting for you to read. I'll probably post it anyway. 

Also, my friend is a fashion designer. Check out Rana Madkour Designs on Facebook and Instagram because her jewelry is beautiful. 

If your exchange year was a song, what would it be?

Rather Be - Clean Bandit
Walk Like An Egyptian - The Bangles (for obvious reasons)

How do you imagine the day you are going home?

All of the feels. I don't even want to think about it. Go away. 

Who would you like to do this tag?

If you are or were an exchange student, answer one or more of these questions in the comments. I would love to know what you guys have to say. Even if you didn't study abroad you can answer at least one of these questions. 



As always, if you guys enjoyed this post like it and Corie in Egypt on Facebook. 
Leave any questions, comments, or concerns you have in the comments and I will answer them. 
If you know someone who would like this post or my blog be a good friend and share it. 
If you know an exchange student you think should do this tag, tag them. 

You are awesome, and as my sixth grade history teacher always said: learn something today. 

Byeeeeee

Corie. 



Links:

The Beginning: http://abroad-outlook.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-beginning.html?m=1
Bridging Cultures Scholarship (with video): http://abroad-outlook.blogspot.com/2014/06/bridging-cultures-scholarship.html?m=1
Food post: http://abroad-outlook.blogspot.com/2014/11/donut-have-pun-for-title-but-olive-you.html?m=1k
Rather Be - Clean Bandit: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cUC_rzsiua8
Walk Like An Egyptian - The Bangles: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk
Rana Madkour Designs: https://m.facebook.com/Ranamadkourdesigns?_rdr

7 comments:

  1. I think it´s so cool that you went to egypt and not to one of those countries everyone goes to! Sounds like it was a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading your article, it's so awesome that you went to Egypt. I've never met any exchange student who went there for a year!!

    What is your name, age, nationality and company?
    my name is Elise, I'm 18, from the Netherlands and I'm here with EF.

    Where are you living your exchange year?

    Idaho, USA.

    Why did you decide to be an exchange student?

    My mom used to live in the USA with her family when she was a teenager. All her stories and American friends inspired me to want to move there. When I was about twelve I found out that instead of permanently moving there it was also possible to do an exchange year, and ever since that moment I've wanted to do it. I also LOVE traveling, and after high school in the Netherlands I really felt like I needed a break, and an adventure.

    What did you think when you first stepped out of the plane?
    What the heck, is this real? Where do I have to go?

    What is the weirdest thing you have tasted so far?
    Waffles with bacon on top of them...

    Have you done anything so far that you never thought was possible?
    I've been mistaken for being American (and for being my Hf's actual daughter lol) multiple times, was in a play and just going on exchange in general.

    What has been the biggest challenge so far?
    Probably homesickness.

    How do you like the school in your host country?
    I love it, there's so much school spirit and the classes are a lot more fun. The only thing I don't like is US history, sorry. But that's probably because I get so much homework, and I don't know much about US history yet.. Oh and also, why do we have to get up so early here??

    How do people dress in your host country (in your opinion)?
    More casually. Dutch people usually wouldn't come to school in leggings or sports clothes, but Americans wear that on a daily basis. I'm not complaining though, it's sooo comfortable.

    If your exchange year was a song, what would it be?
    party in the USA - Miley Cyrus (I think everyone knows why)
    don't stop believing - Journey

    How do you imagine the day you are going home?
    A lot of mixed feelings, and a lot of crying. Not looking forward to it.

    Who would you like to do this tag?
    Every exchange student who wants to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a outstanding and most essential blog to aware about International Studies article Exchange Student Tag . thanks for bring that post.







    Live close to De Montford University

    Student accommodation close to De Montfort University

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am expecting more interesting topics from you. And this was nice content and definitely it will be useful for many people. Student Visa Consultants in Ahmedabad
    Student Visa Consultancy in Ahmedabad

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is really helpful regarding all educational knowledge I earned. It covered a great area of subject which can assist a lot of needy people. Everything mentioned here is clear and very useful.เรียนต่ออังกฤษ

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need personal informations from companies,family and friends that will better your life and you need easy access without them noticing just contact james or you’re financially unstable or you have a bad credit score, he will solve that without stress,he and his team can clear criminal records without leaving a trace and can also anonymously credit your empty credit cards with funds you need,all these are not done free obviously but I like working with James and his team cause they keep you updated on every step taken in order to achieve the goal and they also deliver on time,I tested and confirmed this I’m still happy on how my life is improving after my encounter with him ,you can send a mail to premiumhackservices@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete