Monday, July 11, 2016

The Blue Pearl and the Medina

The past few days, I've been traveling with the other Americans in my program. Including myself, there are 12 of us. We, along with 6 chaperones, plies into a hot bus and drove 5 hours to Chefchaouen. 

Pool views

More pool views

Chefchaouen is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. It is a town in the mountains in northern Morocco. The town is a very popular tourist destination because many of the buildings are blue. 

Alleyway in Chefchaouen

The first day, we checked into our hotel, got lunch, went for a swim, hung out, and had dinner. The hotel was beautiful and their food was amazing. 

Chicken Tangine

The Blue Pearl

The next day, we went for a hike. I remember being told that it was going to be an easy walk through the forest in the mountains. The beginning of the hike was like that, but the rest of it was crazy Indiana Jones type stuff. We climbed over rocky terrain, waded through the water, took impromptu swims, and risked the lives of our iPhones by crossing logs and twig bridges. 

It was not what I expected at all, and in the beginning, I was frustrated that I was so ill prepared. I quickly realized that my bad attitude was not going to make the hike easier. I tied up my pants so I wouldn't trip and channeled my inner mountain goat and did not fall. I almost lost my balance a couple times and saw my life flash before my eyes, but I'm good. 

We walked along a stream, and many times in the stream to cool off. The view was breathtaking and totally worth it. 

I climbed an extra rock for this picture. 

Homies were in front of the hut so I made them smile. 

God's bridge

The hike was exhausting. But it was a different part of Morocco. I'm glad I had the opportunity. Something that makes the hard parts of exchange easier is remembering how lucky you are to be there. Now that I'm clean and hydrated and sitting in AC, I can look back fondly on this mountain adventure. 

I'm really sweaty in this picture, but you can't tell because of the pose. 

After we rested, ate, and got our energy back, we walked to the medina (old town) in Chefchaouen. We explored the different shops in the souq. I had my first experience haggling. The first time, I made a rookie mistake and paid 50 dirhams more than I wanted to. That's literally 50¢, so it's not like it's a huge financial loss. 

The second time, however, I successfully haggled for a beautiful leather bag. The first shop I went to would not sell me the bag for under 200 dirhams so I walked. Literally down the street was another leather shop. I was with another girl who also wanted a leather bag. We haggled and paid 150 dirhams for it instead of 240. I declare success. 

Medina in Chefchaouen

The next morning, my friend and I got up early to take pictures and explore Chefchaouen. There was no one out and it was nice and peaceful. I also could pose for pictures without being embarrassed. 

Looks candid, but is actually posed. 

This purse is my child. 

That afternoon we went to Fes, another city in Morocco. That night, we just ate dinner in a mall and went back to the hotel and watched a movie. 

The next day, after breakfast, we got a tour of the medina (old city) of Fes. In the old days, Fes was a center for handicraft. It still kind of is. 

In the medina we saw old schools and the "first university." It was built by a woman. Back then, Italians traded a kilo of marble for a kilo of sugar. The Moroccans won because the marble is still there and the sugar is long gone. 

Oldest university in the world

Homie checking out a very old classroom. 

"Whoever you are, be well-behaved."

At the end of our tour, we went to a leather processing shop, a spice shop, and a cloth weaving shop. I bought spices for my family and I bought saffron for a really good price. We saw how a fourth generation cloth weaver made blankets and scarves by hand. We saw the process leather goes through to make bags, belts and shoes. 

Shopping for spices. 

Shelves of the apothecary. 

In the cloth weaving shop they tied scarves for us in varying Moroccan styles. 

This trip was amazing. We did so much in so little time. We all bonded and became so much closer. 

On top of that, I got to use my Arabic with strangers. The whole trip I bought things and ordered food in Arabic. I greeted people and asked questions in Arabic. More than once, people asked if I was Moroccan. When I said I was American, they told me I spoke Arabic really well. 

I had a wonderful time on this trip. I saw new parts of Morocco and it was refreshing. 

Thanks for reading. 

Learn something today. 

Byeeeee

Corie. 

18 comments:

  1. Wow... I love the amazing pictures. And I'm glad you found a place to speak Arabic. I love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Nice article written by author. If you have any problem regarding outlook you can contact us. We are leading third-party technical support services provider that gives the best support to the people who use technical devices like printers, antivirus software programs, and routers. We give the services through the well trained, skilled, experienced technicians who are certified by the best and well-known technology companies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-create-contact-group-distribution-list-outlook-manish-kumar/

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for written nice informatics blog. i am really fan of your writing. i just write on article on outlook topic How to Create a Contact Group (Distribution List) in Outlooki Hope you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. This paragraph gives clear idea for the new viewers of blogging, Thanks you. You’re doing a great job Man, Keep it up.
    How to Delete an Outlook Account

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outlook provide email services to send or read the message from mobile, desktop etc. Outlook is really nice and safe email service provider of Microsoft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi

    Thanks for sharing nice informative blogs.its a really helpful post for users.if your readers are using McAfee Antivirus and looking for experts advise . Call McAfee toll free number or visit www.mcafee.com/activate

    ReplyDelete
  11. You need personal informations from companies,family and friends that will better your life and you need easy access without them noticing just contact james or you’re financially unstable or you have a bad credit score, he will solve that without stress,he and his team can clear criminal records without leaving a trace and can also anonymously credit your empty credit cards with funds you need,all these are not done free obviously but I like working with James and his team cause they keep you updated on every step taken in order to achieve the goal and they also deliver on time,I tested and confirmed this I’m still happy on how my life is improving after my encounter with him ,you can send a mail to premiumhackservices@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pg slot แตกง่าย เกมแจ็คพอต PG SLOT เป็นอีกหนึ่งต้นแบบเกมทำเงินยอดนิยมเยอะที่สุดในปี 2021 นี้ มีเรื่องราวชักชวนติดตาม และก็มีภาพกราฟิกที่ชัดเจนงดงามสูงที่สุดอีกด้วยเล่นเลย

    ReplyDelete
  13. pg slot auto Pg Auto ทางเข้าเล่น หรือ pgslot-th เกมพีจีสล็อจ pg สล็อตออนไลน์ (pg slot auto) จากค่าย pg soft และก็ บาคาร่า ออนไลน์ ที่มาใน รูปแบบใหม่ เป็นเกมส์ ยอดฮิต

    ReplyDelete
  14. เว็บ ทดลอง เล่น สล็อต ทดสอบเล่นสล็อตฟรี โหมดทดสอบเล่นสล็อตpgslotสล็อตตัวเกม ทดสอบ ที่จะมอบประสบการณ์สำหรับในการเล่นเกมสล็อตให้กับท่าน ก่อนตัดสินใจลงพนันจริง! ปั่นสล็อตฟรี

    ReplyDelete